Monday, December 4, 2017

November 2017 | Remember

November was a month filled with laughters, tears, heartaches and self-reflection

In the midst of an emotional chaos, I saw how tremendously far I was from self-love, how big a coward I was and how afraid I was of letting go. Instead of facing issues, I would rather sweep things under the carpet and pretend that all is sunshine and rainbow. While it was emotionally challenging, November was a month to remember. 


1. Birthday


My eldest sister is that person in the family who always remembers our birthdays and put in effort to celebrate them. I decided to return her the favour last month by celebrating hers - with a pandan kaya cake at midnight and a Kindle Paperwhite. She had always mentioned in passing how she was thinking of getting herself a Kindle, and I thought that that gift would be perfect for her. I can't be more grateful to have someone like her as my sister.

2. Farewell

One of the most heartbreaking things that happened in November was Tanu moving back to India. I had known her since she joined the company early this year, but it was not until March that we started becoming close. She provided me with emotional supports and listening ears throughout tough times and she never failed to make me laugh with "that can only happen to Tanu" stories. I was thrilled that she could finally end her long distance marriage with her husband, but I was so sad that I could no longer ask her for early lunches, nor could I ask her out just to chat. I felt like all those gatherings before she left were not enough, and I can hardly wait for her to be back next year. 

3. Happy Bunch(es)

November was a month filled with flowers! Discounting graduation, I can safely say that I have never received that many flower bouquets in a month. Minnie had been extremely sweet for bringing me flower bouquets whenever she dropped by the office, and I really loved them. I also agreed to be a flower model for her newsletter and Instagram last month, and I was glad I did, because I thoroughly enjoyed myself being in their office and taking happy pictures. Get affordable flower bunches for Christmas, Valentines or just because, by visiting Happy Bunch.

4. Startup Weekend Singapore Women

Volunteered for Startup Weekend Singapore Women as a facilitator, and boy was it an eye-opening weekend. Met a group of very interesting people who were passionate about their works and ideas and it motivated me to do something about my life. Thoroughly an amazing way to spend the weekend and I would love to attend as a participant one day. Startup Weekend is a 3 day event organised by Techstar and unlike hackathon, its judging criteria focuses on the business side as well. I love that I had the chance to volunteer for the women's edition, because it felt so amazing to see women being empowered and having a space to speak-up and create. 

5. BBQ

Had a cozy barbecue session at Tanu's place with Oddlers and ex-Oddlers. It was a nice and comfortable event where everyone was just chilling and enjoying themselves. I basically stuffed myself silly with meat, seafood, MARSHMALLOWS, and a few drinks. I cannot wait for the next BBQ session in December. 

6. Langkawi




Highlight of the month was the 3 Days 2 Nights trip to Langkawi where Minnie, Tanu, Vivi and I relaxed and be at peace with the sea, sand and sun. I had not felt so calm in awhile. We ate delicious seafood, dipped in the sea, swam in the pool, buried Tanu in the sand, visited Vivi's aunt, ate yummy Laksa & Iced Kachang, had a dance party in the room, got drunk, laughed and cried. I miss the trip tremendously, now that I'm back in Singapore. 

7. MØ's Concert


MØ's concert was another highlight of the month and I could not believe how good she was in real life. I did not know I had been listening to her songs until one day Cheryl told me that she wanted to go to MØ's concert. As always, I YOLO-ed and booked the ticket. I did my research, listened to more of her songs and I was hooked! All her songs sounded so so much better in real life, and her fan service was amazing. I wish I could see more of her because one hour show was too short. 

I thought that after what I have experienced throughout the year I would be much stronger. Yet I was still as fragile as I used to be. I still could not let go and I was so afraid of being myself. It was becoming unhealthy but I chose to continue and I did not know how long I was going to hold on for. Still, I hoped that at the end of the day, I would learn to choose what's best for myself. 

Thank you, November. 

No comments:

Post a Comment